WhatsApp is so Saudi you will think they invented this smart phone application. The App icon is green and white similar to the Saudi flag, you know it is meant to be Saudi from day one, but who are we kidding? Last thing Saudis invented was mixing apple juice with sparkle water and calling it “Saudi champagne”.
Phone calls are so 1994, now Saudis use WhatsApp as their main channel of communication; from greetings to asking about each other… for a nation that treats socializing as a religion, WhatsApp made their life much easier.
From my experience I realized that there are five types of WhatsApp users in Saudi:
- The Comedian: Specialized in sending funny videos, pictures, and jokes. This user is the life of the party.
- The Mutw’a (religious): Specialized in sending prayers (دعاء), some kind of greetings with prayers, and all kind of religious texts. This user makes you feel as if you are an infidel and trying to convert you to islam .
- The Reporter: Specialized in sending breaking news… the Reporter will always send the latest and current news from any kind, even if it is fake; the reporter will always share them first.
- The Doctor: Specialized in sending all kind of gibberish cures and treatments. For instance they will send something like if you mix lemon with dog shit and rub it on your forehead, you will get rid of headaches for ever.
- The audience: Specialized in not sending anything, just watching and replying with smileys ;).